Hessle woman fined £300 for dumping bags of rubbish on footpath

Wed, 08 May 2019

A woman from Hessle has been fined £300 for dumping bags of household rubbish on a footpath in Hessle.

Two black bin bags containing general household waste, canister refills and cardboard boxes were found on the path between Mount Avenue and Westbourne Grove – a location which is often targeted by fly-tippers.

The woman admitted an offence of fly-tipping and was issued with a £400 fixed penalty notice from East Riding of Yorkshire Council. This was reduced to £300 for early payment.

Following a report of fly-tipping, a streetscene enforcement officer from East Riding of Yorkshire Council was called to the footpath in Hessle on 20 February this year.

The waste was traced back to an address in Hull and further investigations led the officer to the woman from Hessle, who admitted dumping the rubbish.

East Riding of Yorkshire Council continues to inform residents they are responsible for disposing of their own waste properly and legally.

Residents are urged to place rubbish in their household bins or take it to their local household waste recycling site.

For larger loads they can also hire a licensed waste carrier to take the rubbish away, or use the council’s own bulky waste collection service.

Paul Tripp, head of streetscene services at East Riding of Yorkshire Council, said: “The responsibility lies with the resident to make sure they dispose of their waste correctly and legally and to help us prevent fly-tipping.”

Fly-tipping information:

  • Residents can report any fly-tipping or suspicious activity to the council on 01482 393939, or online at eastriding.gov.uk/fly-tipping
  • People are asked not to touch any fly-tipped waste or approach anyone they see fly-tipping.
  • To find your nearest household waste recycling site visit the council’s website eastriding.gov.uk and search for ‘recycling’.
  • The council provides a service offering to take away bulky waste, which costs £31 for up to five items, and can be booked through the website. Just search for ‘bulky waste collections’.
  • For guidance on how to check if a person is a licensed registered waste carrier visit the council’s website eastriding.gov.uk/fly-tipping