Cottingham woman fined £300 for dumping rubbish in Hull

Tue, 14 May 2019

A woman from Cottingham has been fined £300 after she dumped black bags full of rubbish on a footpath in Hull.

Several black bin bags containing tiles, textiles, slippers, sweet tubs, cardboard and nappy sacks were found on a footpath between Dent Road and Sinderby Walk in March this year.

The woman admitted an offence of fly-tipping and was issued with a £400 fixed penalty notice from East Riding of Yorkshire Council. This was reduced to £300 for early payment.

Following a report of fly-tipping, a streetscene enforcement officer from the council visited the footpath between Dent Road and Sinderby Walk on 19 March.

The waste was traced back to an address in Cottingham and further investigations led the officer to the woman from Cottingham, who admitted dumping the rubbish.

East Riding of Yorkshire Council continues to remind residents they are responsible for disposing of their own waste properly and legally – either by using their household bins or taking it to their local household waste recycling site.

For larger loads they can also hire a licensed waste carrier to take the rubbish away, or use the council’s own bulky waste collection service.

Paul Tripp, head of streetscene services at East Riding of Yorkshire Council, said: “The responsibility lies with the resident to make sure they dispose of their waste correctly and legally and to help us prevent fly-tipping.”

Fly-tipping information:

  • Residents can report any fly-tipping or suspicious activity to the council on 01482 393939, or online at eastriding.gov.uk/fly-tipping
  • People are asked not to touch any fly-tipped waste or approach anyone they see fly-tipping.
  • To find your nearest household waste recycling site visit the council’s website eastriding.gov.uk and search for ‘recycling’.
  • The council provides a service offering to take away bulky waste, which costs £31 for up to five items, and can be booked through the website. Just search for ‘bulky waste collections’.
  • For guidance on how to check if a person is a licensed registered waste carrier visit the council’s website eastriding.gov.uk/fly-tipping