Private drinking water

Explains what a private and public drinking water supply is, who to notify if you have one, is the water sampled, how much does it cost , making it safe to drink and who to contact.

What is a private drinking water supply?

A private water supply is any water supply which supplies one or more properties, that is not provided by a water company A private drinking water supply can originate from a range of sources including boreholes, natural springs, a well and water courses.

What is a public drinking water supply?

A public drinking water supply is the most common supply. It is a mains water supply and in the East Riding of Yorkshire this is mostly supplied by Yorkshire Water.

Should I notify you that I have a private drinking water supply?

Yes. The Private Water Supplies (England) Regulations 2016 (as amended) apply to all private water supplies. Please notify the food services team about any new private water supplies and also any changes to existing supplies. Please contact Food Services directly for more information on this.

Food Services contact details

Do you sample all private water supplies?

This depends on the volume and usage of the supply. Water supplies used for irrigation purposes do not need to be sampled.

Does it cost anything to have my private water supply sampled?

Yes, there is a charge for private drinking water sampling. The charge for sampling depends on the type of supply that is being sampled. The total charge is also dependent on whether the supply needs to be risk assessed and whether any investigation work needs to be undertaken in response to unsatisfactory results. Any charges involved will be fully explained at the time of sampling.

A summary of private drinking water charges can be viewed in the document below:

Food Services Fees and Charges (pdf 112kb)

How do I make sure my private water supply is safe to drink?

Having the water sampled will provide an assessment as to whether the water is safe to drink. Various treatment methods for private drinking water are available.

Please email or call (01482) 396301 for further information.

Who do I contact about private water supplies?

You can contact the food services team for further information on private drinking water sampling costs, methods, details, and treatments:


Tel: (01482) 396301

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News